The Madison Library District is currently hiring for the position of Community Specialist. This is a permanent, full-time, benefited position. This position requires an ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends. A bachelor’s degree is required; a background in library operations is preferred; bilingual Spanish-English ability is preferred. Pay DOE. Open until filled.
- Plan and coordinate Outreach services to all ages, including driving the book wagon to various locations, assisting with outreach services in the community, and performing a variety of direct public service work and outreach as well as behind-the-scenes work.
- Provide excellent customer service to library patrons in person, on the telephone and by email.
- Provide reference services and guidance to patrons in areas of reader’s advisory, computer use, research projects, online
search, and digital devices in a library setting.
- Interpret library services, policies, rules, and fees regarding use of the Madison Library District Community Room.
- Perform a variety of administrative and clerical duties to promote library programs and services.
- Maintain statistical records, and participate in staff and professional development activities.
- Coordinate adult programs and services relating to continuing education.
- Develop and maintain periodicals and e-resource collections.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
Essential knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Strong communication and public relations skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to maintain a cheerful demeanor under pressure.
- High clerical aptitude, detail oriented and excellent keyboard skills.
- Excellent grammar and telephone manners.
- Strong skills in organization, problem solving, time management, and judgement.
- Sufficient personal mobility, flexibility, stamina, and agility, with or without reasonable accommodation, to lift and move up to 35 pounds, stand or sit for extended periods of time, maneuver heavy book carts, and to work in a library environment.
- Ability to perform repetitive hand movements in gripping, fingering, and hand/wrist/arm movements. Related job tasks
may require walking, standing, sitting, lifting, stooping, squatting, kneeling, bending, crouching, pushing, grasping, and
Qualified applicants should bring a résumé to the circulation desk at the library or send an email to email@example.com.
The Madison Library District is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.