How to Place a Request
The words requests and holds and reserves are interchangeable. When you place a request, your name is put on a list of people waiting for an item in the Library’s collection. When the item becomes available for you, we notify you by telephone or email to pick up the item, notify you and place the item on a bookmobile for you, or mail the item to you.
Generally, you may place a request on any item that checks out. Reference materials and newspapers do not check out. You can have a maximum of 10 items on hold.
There are several ways to request materials:
- In person at the Library. Library Staff will assist you. Please bring your library card.
- By telephone. Call 208-356-3461. Library Staff will assist you. Have your library card ready.
- Do it yourself online. Access the online catalog in the Library or over the Internet. Use your library barcode and pin number to login to My Account.
How to Place a Hold using the Catalog
- Locate the item you want by searching the Library Catalog.
- If the item is not currently available, click the Request Item at the bottom right hand corner of the item record.
- Use your library barcode and pin number to login.
- Your barcode number is on the back of your library card. Your PIN is usually the last four digits of your phone number.
- Click the Request button.
- The next screen tells you whether you will be notified using the email address or phone number provided in your library account.
- Be sure to log out if you are on a public access computer.
Reviewing or Cancelling Requests
To check the status of your requested items or to cancel a request, go to My Account.
Click on the Holds / Holds Requests option. If you want to cancel a request, click in the checkbox to the left of the item you wish to cancel. Click on Cancel Request.
If you are going out of town for an extended period, you can suspend your holds until after you return. Click in the checkbox to the left of the items you wish to suspend. At the bottom of the holds section, change the date to when you want your hold to be active again and click on “Change Status.” The library will not fill your request until after the date you specify.
Hold Expire Dates
Normally, requests remain active for one year. If your item has come in and is waiting for you on the hold shelf, you have 7 days in which to pick it up. Otherwise, the item will go to the next person on the hold list. You may talk to a librarian or call 208-356-3461 to be added back into the queue.
Requesting Items Not in the Library Catalog
If you’d like an item that we don’t currently own, you may request it using our Materials Purchase Suggestion and Inter-Library Loan Form. The form will ask for your contact information and your Library Card barcode. You may indicate whether you’d like the library to purchase the item, or whether you’d like it borrowed from another library (Interlibrary Loan). Accepted suggestions may take up to 3 months to be fulfilled.
Due to budget constraints, requests are only accepted from patrons who pay taxes within our library district. If you live outside our boundaries you’ll have to contact your home library for requests. Not sure if you’re in our district? Ask a librarian and we can help!
The library reserves the right to accept or deny any requests. We typically won’t purchase or ILL textbooks or other academic materials, or materials that are out of print. Requests are limited to 3 requests per person per quarter.