AGES 12 TO 17
JUNE 8 through AUGUST 1
- Advance on your safari by reading AND/OR completing the activities located on the Challenge tab. Each activity is worth 25 pages.
- Your final destination is 1500 pages with checkpoints at every 500 pages.
- Digital books and audios are also allowed. Overdrive/Libby is available for free at https://madisonlib.org
- Any reading done before June 7th DOES NOT COUNT towards summer reading challenges.
- You must have your initialed paper log OR have logged your reading online.
- You must choose either paper or online for the duration of the program, you cannot go back and forth.
- Then… come to the Madison Library District Community Room when you have made it to a watering hole checkpoint (every 500 pages) to receive a prize. You can collect a new prize every two weeks!
Program may not be repeated! Only 1 set of prizes per person per summer.
NO PRIZES will be given after Saturday, JULY 31, 2020.
You can read ahead of schedule, but prizes won’t be available until their release date. If you miss a week, you can collect it the next time.
For example, if you come in July 6, and haven’t gotten any prizes yet, you can pick up prize number 1 and 2. If you’ve read past that point, and are ready for prize 3, you’ll have to wait until July 19 to get that next prize.
Prizes will be available any time after their first availability date until July 31, while supplies last.
NO PRIZES AFTER JULY 31
- Weeks 1 & 2: June 7-19: Program sign-ups only; no prizes available yet
- Week 3 & 4: June 21-July 3: Prize 1 available starting June 21
- Week 5 & 6: July 6-July 17: Prize 2 available starting July 6
- Week 7 & 8: July 19-31: Prize 3 available starting July 19
- Last Day to Sign Up: July 24
- Last Day to Collect Prizes: July 31
The Youth Explorer Passes from Idaho State Parks will waive the entry fee for one vehicle for one day to any Idaho state park.
Ask your librarian for more information!
Summer Reading Events
Teen Summer Reading Kick-off Party!
FRIDAY, JUNE 11, AT 7:00 PM
Hakuna Matata! Join us for an “interactive” movie night as we watch Disney’s The Lion King. Eat gummy worms with Timon and Pumbaa, coconut candy with Zazu, blow a party whistle with the elephants, and sit on a whoopie cushion with Pumbaa.
Dungeons and Dragons for Teens
“Tail”ish Tales Writer's Contest
Learn How to Enter
Crafting With the Library
Take n’ Go Kits
Dungeons and Dragons for Teens
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 23, at 4:00 PM
WEDNESDAY JULY 28, at 4:00 PM
Dungeons and Dragons for teens is coming to Madison Library District! In this classic role-playing game, you create your character, choose how they interact with the story, and use dice to decide the outcomes of your actions.
This event is open to all teens (ages 12 to 17). Both beginners and experienced players are welcome.
The game will consist of one, 1 to 2 hour session for first level characters. Experienced players may use their own character if they wish, but pre-made characters will also be available. All characters should be made using only the resources available in the core 5th Edition player’s handbook.
As we are currently in Phase Three of re-opening the library, this program will be held over Zoom.
If you are interested in a grand adventure, want to meet new and old friends, and have epic fun, register by clicking the button below. Fill out the form, and you will be contacted with all the information you’ll need to join this event on Zoom.
“Tail”ish Tales Short Story Writing Contest
- Participants must be ages 12 – 17 to enter
- Open to Madison Library District residents only
- 2,000 word maximum
- Limit 1 short story per person
- No photos or illustrations
- Work must be original, not previously published, and titled
- Submissions that are deemed inappropriate, culturally inaccurate or possess negative stereotypical characterization will be disqualified
How to Submit:
- Email your original work to Gina Miller or bring a hard copy into the library.
- Subject line must say: “Tail”ish Tales Contest.
- Please include your name, age, and phone number in the email.
- Paste or type your short story in the email itself. Attachments will not be opened.
All entries must be received by Monday, July 26th, 2021.
Winners will be announced on Friday, July 31st, 2020 via Facebook, Instagram and email.
First prize- $50 Amazon gift card.
Second prize- Fat Cat’s movie date pack.
Third prize- Rexburg Floral gift certificate for free corsage & boutonniere.
All three winners will receive publication online at www.madisonlib.org and an award certificate.
For more information please email Gina Miller.
Crafting with Take n’ Go Kits
For Summer Reading 2021, Take ‘n Go craft & science activities to do at home!
Kits will be available at the Circulation desk while supplies last.
Go to www.madisonlib.org/teen-zone for instructional video links.
June 17: Library Button Pin Holder
- Wall hanger to display all the library buttons the teens have gotten and will get.
June 24: Hedgehog Earbud Holders
- Earbud/cord holders to resemble a hedgehog made with felt.
July 1: Pokemon Terrariums
- Make a terrarium to put little Pokémon’s inside of.
July 8: Monkey Fist Knot
- Keychain knot (Monkey Fist)
July 15: Paper Fox in a Mint Tin
- Creating a fox with cut-paper inside the lid of a mint tin.
July 23: Firebird Paper Cranes
- Not quite your typical paper-crane. This one is super cool and looks like a firebird.
Teen Action Council
Young League of Writers
Madison BiblioManiacs Book Club
Teen Action Council
- June 7th at 4:00 pm
The Madison Library District Teen Action Council will meet regularly to provide input for teen events and programs, give feedback about YA materials purchases, and provide suggestions for improvements for other aspects of the Library as it relates to teens. In the event that the Madison Library District Teen Action Council is chosen as one of the nominee groups for the YALSA Teen Top Ten, providing book reviews and nominations for the award would also be required.
Young League of Writers
Would you like to share your writing with other teens your age or just make new friends? Join the Young League of Writers for ages 12-18. We will meet for an hour to share what we’ve all been working on and talk about what makes writing great.
Monday, June 14 at 4:00 pm: Sensory Walk and Write
Young League of Writers will meeting on the grassy area above the skating area at the Nature Park for a sensory walk and write experience. We will also have a picnic with yummy snacks. Bring your own quilt, lawn chair, sunscreen, and bug spray!
Monday, July 12 at 4:30 pm: Character Development
Teens ages 12-17 gather together to watch anime favorites, chat about manga, play Japanese card games, sketch your own manga portraits (markers and paper provided), and munch on yummy snacks!
Monday, June 21 at 4:40 pm: Pokemon The First Movie
Monday, July 20 at 4:00 pm: My Roomate is a Cat
Teen Book Club
Teens gather together for a great book discussion on a topic or book they have previously selected. They also enjoy games, activities, and treats.
Monday, June 28 at 4:00 pm: The Eleventh Hour by Graeme Base
We will gather to read The Eleventh Hour by Graeme Base, and solve the whodunnit mystery of the book by decoding the puzzles on each illustrated page. Treats will be provided!
Monday, July 28 at 4:30 pm: Madison Choice Awards Buffet
Thank You to Our Summer Reading Sponsors
These amazing businesses and organizations donated almost $68,000 to make our 2021 Summer Reading possible. We appreciate their support of literacy in our community!
Regular Hours of Operation
- Monday – Thursday: 9:00 am – 8:00 pm
- Friday: 10:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Saturday: 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Sunday: CLOSED
Closures in 2021
- January 1 – New Year’s
- January 18 – Martin Luther King, Jr., Day
- February 15 – President’s Day
- March 26 – Staff Development Day
- April 3 – Closed for Maintenance
- May 29-31 – Memorial Day
- July 5 – Independence Day
- September 4-6 – Labor Day
- October 2 – Closed for Maintenance
- November 11 – Veteran’s Day
- November 24 – Closing at 5 pm
- November 25-26 – Thanksgiving
- December 24-27 – Christmas
- December 31, 2020 – January 1, 2021 – New Year’s
73 North Center
Rexburg, Idaho 83440
We are located on Center Street, just north of Main Street, by the Historic Rexburg Tabernacle.
24 Hour Phone Renewal: (208) 356-6658