Ages 9 to 11
JUNE 8 through AUGUST 1
- Readers have 8 weeks (June 8 – August 1) to read 20 minutes a day/ 5 days each week. There are three reading destinations this year, one every two weeks (200 minutes per challenge).
- Any reading done before June 8th DOES NOT COUNT towards summer reading challenges
- You must have your initialed paper log OR have logged your reading online.
- You must choose either paper or online for the duration of the program, you cannot go back and forth.
- You may use Junior Fiction (JF), Junior Graphic Novels (JG), Tween Fiction (TW), Tween Graphic Novels (TWG), or magazines.
- Digital books and audios are also allowed. Tumble Books and Overdrive are available for free at www.madisonlib.org/kids-corner.
- Each HEROIC Reading Goal has additional activities or challenges you can choose to do in place of TWO 15-minute reading sessions; each one may be used only once per challenge. For example, you may count “Write your own fairy tale” only once per challenge. Make sure you log 20 minutes of reading under the “BOOKS” tab for each additional activity completed! For the “book title” just put in the name of the challenge completed.
Program may not be repeated! Only 1 set of prizes per person per summer.
NO PRIZES will be given after Saturday, AUGUST 1, 2020.
Summer Stem From Your Library
What Should I Read?
- Weeks 1 & 2: June 8-20: Program sign-ups only; no prizes available yet
- Week 3 & 4: June 22-July 3: Prize 1 available starting June 22
- Week 5 & 6: July 6-July17: Prize 2 available starting July 6
- Week 7 & 8: July 20-August 1: Prize 3 available starting July 20
- Last Day to Collect Prizes: August 1
You can read ahead of schedule, but prizes won’t be available until their release date. If you miss a week, you can collect it the next time.
For example, if you come in July 6, and haven’t gotten any prizes yet, you can pick up prize number 1 and 2. If you’ve read past that point, and are ready for prize 3, you’ll have to wait until July 20 to get that next prize.
Prizes will be available any time after their first availability date until August 1, while supplies last.
NO PRIZES AFTER AUGUST 1
Summer STEM for Kids and Tweens
This summer, we’ll be doing video crafting focusing on STEM activities. Our Kids’ Corner and Tween Scene webpages will have links to videos with the instructions and demonstrations for each craft activity.
You can come by and pick up a Grab-n-Go craft bag with all supplies needed for the activity. These bags will be available on the first Monday of each week. We only have a limited number of these, so once they’re gone, they’re gone! We’ve included the lists of supplies for each craft in case you don’t get one of the Grab-n-Go bags. That way, you may use your own supplies and follow along with our videos.
Themes and Crafts for June:
June 16 Dragons- Charm the Dragon (Dragon Snake Charmer)
- Tissue paper
- Ball-point pen
- aluminum foil sheet
June 22 Royalty- Communicate with the princess in the Tower (Secret Codes)
- white crayon
- water color paint
June 29 Jack and the Beanstalk- Need a way down (Ziploc bag parachute)
- ziploc bag
- yarn or string
- knight toy
- big straw
Themes and Crafts for July:
July 6 Three Little Pigs- Scare the wolf (film canister rocket)
- Plastic film canister
- Antacid tablet
July 13 Goldilocks- Who dunnit? (DIY DNA)
- licorice twists
- 4 colors of jellybeans
- A handful of toothpicks
July 20 Cave of Wonders- Wishes in the lights (bubble lamp in a bag)
- ziploc bag
- antacid tablet
- UV light
- paper towel